What Can George Orwell Teach You about Generating Leads in a Sluggish Market?
You need to know this: These rules are all gems and can turn you into a ruthless copywriter. A killer blogger. A writer with dangerous copy chops.
But what do they have to do with generating leads? Simple. Use these rules when writing ads and you’ll create tight little advertisements that boost your conversion.
Combine it with one of the most powerful IVR ad formulas…and you’ll be unstoppable.
Here’s the deal: Once you read these rules, take the challenge below. You’ll definitely want to give it a try:
1. Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech that you are used to seeing in print.
2. Never use a long word where a short one will do.
3. If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
4. Never use the passive voice when you can use the active
5. Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday equivalent.
6. Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous!
What’d you think? Pretty simple, right? That’s the beauty of his advice. The cool thing is–it works. Want proof? Try this.
So here’s the challenge: Take any page from your website…any sales letter…any brochure…any long piece of copy you might have.
Have someone read it. Get their reaction. After they’ve read it, go rewrite the piece based on Orwell’s advice. Then give it back to that person.
And see what they think. Then come back here and tell me their response. I look forward to hearing from you!
Did you find this article useful? If so, leave a comment. And if you like what you read, subscribe to the Real Estate Marketing Blog.